Latest NEFAS FB page Fiasco

Miscellaneous Gathering Place
Chuckie

Latest NEFAS FB page Fiasco

Post by Chuckie » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:06 am

This a cup and paste of what's going on on the NEFAS FB page. It's posted here in case it gets deleted by the powers that be in the club who don't like it.

Chuck Cummins
21 hrs
Where did the thread about the Swamp observing for Friday night go?
CommentShare
Comments

Chuck Cummins The information thread about Friday nights possible Swamp observing is duplicated on the JDSO page as well as in our forum under general discussion area in case anyone missed it here before it was taken down.
Manage

Like · Reply · 21h

Dennis O'Day And Saturday night
Manage

Like · Reply · 21h

Chuck Cummins Camping Friday and Saturday night? Have to check with the boss on that one!
Manage

Like · Reply · 21h

Write a reply

Chuck Cummins Thread is back up again! Terrific!
Manage

Like · Reply · 21h

And then this was re-posted

Dennis O'Day
Yesterday at 7:30 AM
You do know we have our own dark sky site. Some support would be very helpful!

LikeCommentShare

You, Eric G Florida, Glenn Williams and 3 others
2 Shares
Comments

Chuck Cummins Would be great to get the JDSO Swamp Rats out together again!

Manage

Like · Reply · 22h

Dennis O'Day That is what I thought.
Manage

Like · Reply · 22h

Rick Koch "Site" is ambiguous. Do you mean a swamp or a page? A link wouldn't hurt.
Manage

Like · Reply · 21h

Dennis O'Day The observing site the Swamp .Thanks
Manage

Like · Reply · 21h

Chuck Cummins Tonight is the New Moon so tomorrow ought to be good and dark if the Wx holds.
Manage

Like · Reply · 21h

Hide 11 Replies

Dennis O'Day Yes
Manage

Like · Reply · 21h

Chuck Cummins Make sure you cross post this in our group and on the forums in case this disappears again.
Manage

Like · Reply · 21h

Dennis O'Day Not sure how to do that.Also do you know how to post a link to the map to the Swamp?
Manage

Like · Reply · 21h

Chuck Cummins Let me look and see. Kind of surprised there isn't one pinned to this group.
Manage

Like · Reply · 21h

Chuck Cummins Here is an excellent pdf about the Swamp site including detailed maps that Art Russel put together in 2007. It's buried in the files section of this fb group.https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/.../NEFAS%20Dark%20Sky...
Manage

Like · Reply · 21h

Dennis O'Day I was trying to just isolate the map and post it to the event announcements
Manage

Like · Reply · 21h

Dennis O'Day Thanks
Manage

Like · Reply · 21h

Chuck Cummins No sweat. I'm a little disappointed that the St. Augustine astronomy club is mentioned for their observing session this weekend and OUR (NEFAS) New Moon Observing Session at the Swamp was omitted. That just doesn't seem right to me.
Manage

Like · Reply · 20h

Dennis O'Day I feel the same way
Manage

Like · Reply · 20h

Yvonne Dominiak
Yvonne and 7 others manage the membership, moderators, settings, and posts for NEFAS (Northeast Florida Astronomical Society).
 Chuck Cummins I have checked the logs- no posts have been deleted. I have announced at every meeting that I will post ON THE FRONT PAGE OF NEFAS WEBSITE and will pin it on the top of the Facebook Page If someone will email me the information they want 
posted- simple instructions-but NO ONE sends me emails on this-even though I repeatedly announce it. In the time it takes you to bitch about it not being anywhere, you could send me an email so it will be posted. I am offering for the last time right now. I can be contacted at yvonne@nefas.org
Manage

Like · Reply · 8h

Chuck Cummins Yvonne, All I know is that a post suggesting that we support, as a club, our new moon observing session disappeared after a couple of members responded to it. After pointing it out, the original post was re-posted by the member who put it up in the first place. This isn't the first time that a message asking about the administration of the club was "Misplaced" The last time I checked, this was an ASTRONOMY CLUB owned by the members and here to support and guide it's members. The New Moon and third quarter observing sessions at the dark sky site (Swamp) have been around as long as I can remember. Same with the first quarter moon sessions at Hanna Park. Why does someone have to mail you every month to get these dates included in club on line publications? These dates are known about for years in advance. We have a New Moon EVERY MONTH and have for as long as humans have walked, and crawled, on the earth. It almost seems that personal observing sessions are discouraged and being replaced by outreach events. Sure Outreach is important for the clubs membership, but once someone joins then what? Without organized observing sessions the new member feels like they were taken. We already have members who feel this way and do not participate anymore. If our club isn't about enjoying our telescopes and our hobby what is it for? Everyone appreciates the people, time and effort that goes into making the club operate. It just seems like the censorship and de-emphasis on observing is harming the group. Is is any wonder that members are disgruntled and forming another club? If NEFAS can not or will not serve it's members, maybe it's time for another group to emerge. If you want me to chart out the New Moon weekends for potential observing sessions at the Swamp for the next couple of years so that they can be approved to be posted on facebook I will, but at this rate it is doubtful the club will survive that long. I am cross posting this on the other clubs site and forums in case this mysteriously disappears also.
Manage

Like · Reply · 7m